SkinCare 301 - Why soldiers should wear Armadillo?
For centuries wool had been the fibre of choice for clothing worn by soldiers, police, firemen and search & rescue teams because of wools natural protective properties and its versatility over a wide range of extreme environments but over recent years these benefits have been forgotten, that is until now.
Armadillo Merino® has taken an innovative approach in resolving the issues of synthetic baselayer garments melting and dripping into the skin from extreme heat with an associated increase in the incidence of skin infections. Textile and knitting technology have been combined with superfine merino wool (using wool’s natural FR properties) to create a new generation of performance baselayers for soldiers and first responders that help protect the skin from heat and flames while reducing the incidence of skin infections in addition to wools historically acknowledged insulative properties.
Armadillo Merino® offers three collections of specialist lightweight garments designed to be worn next to skin in extreme environments.
- Elite: High performance protective wear engineered exclusively for professionals who demand the very best. Developed in Italy using new fabric technology, this superfine merino offers a smooth, silken feel whilst retaining incredible strength.
- Big Cat: Designed to be semi-fit it combines the look and feel of your favourite cotton T-shirt with all the extra benefits of merino. It looks great as a first layer, yet is ready to perform in extreme environments offering you protection, temperature control and moisture management when you need it.
- The Raptor Range is made from an open rib knit fabric to help you thermoregulate in all temperatures. When it's hot, heat and perspiration are released to keep you cooler and drier. When its cold, your Armadillo works as an insulator, trapping still air to keep you warm. With a figure-hugging fit, it makes an excellent base layer.
To maximise comfort against the skin the internal care labels have been removed and the garments have been constructed so there are no seams under the armpit or on the shoulders reducing the risks of skin abrasion. Armadillo Merino® provides a lightweight clothing solution for soldiers, police, fire and search & rescue teams providing them with enhanced levels of protection, performance and comfort.
Why merino wool?
Merino wool is nature’s performance fibre. Merino is a superfine breed of wool that is used in all the Armadillo Merino® garments because of its inherent strength and next to skin softness.
Did you know Armadillo Merino® garments protect wearers because the garments -
- Have natural flame retardancy up to 600 Centigrade
- Don’t melt, shrink or stick to skin when exposed to high temperatures
- Don’t produce toxic odours when burning
- Have one of the highest natural UVP factors giving protection from the sun
- Provides a high resistance to acids
- Offer greater resistance to chemical residues and aerosols than synthetics
- Thermoregulates the skin, reducing overheating or chilling
- Moisture manages the skin - reducing the rate of moisture lost in exercise
- Is naturally antibacterial - won't infect wounds
- Doesn’t generate offensive odours even after prolonged use
- Are soft yet incredibly strong and durable
- Sustainable - the merino fibre is annually renewable and is biodegradable
- Easy Care – being machine washable and quick drying